Saturday, December 27, 2008

Happy Holidaze!

Oh ho ho, the holidays. It's nice being back at home. For the past 10 minutes I've been debating whether or not there should be quotes around the word 'home' in the previous sentence, as it's no longer my physical residence. It got me thinking about all of the "home is where the heart is" crap... and what makes any particular home YOUR home. Seeing as how San Francisco is my newly adopted home, San Diego has been my home for the past 19 years, and I have friends and loved ones in both cities.... well, I've decided I have two homes, dammit. Who says you can only have one anyway?!

It's been good seeing all the familiar faces I'd expected to see, even the ones I didn't expect to see at all. I'll be honest, I wanted to avoid as many of those awkward "Hey, I haven't seen you since high school, and even then we never talked, but I couldn't run away before we made eye contact... how have ya been?" situations as much as possible, but I guess even those make for some interesting stories afterward. It can also be pleasantly surprising to see how people have changed (or stayed the same) in the past couple years during the few moments it takes to exchange a few words with them. Regardless, every face was friendly and I've enjoyed my time back.

After the severe amount of overeating that occurred this past week, I felt it was about time to hop back on a bike, my little sister's awesomely bad-ass Panasonic road bike (which I'm going to steal away to SF one day...), and ride over to Coronado. The ride is maybe a little more than a 10miles from my house and today was the perfect day to take it. The weather was absolutely gorgeous; the sun was out and the air was clean and crisp from the rain a few nights before. I went at a leisurely pace, taking care to notice what gifts the low-tide revealed along the bay's shore, and playing along with the suicidal, dive-bombing sparrows' games to see who would be the first to get crushed by my front tire. It was lovely as the sky was blue. I stopped along the way to snap a shot of my "half way" marker into town.



After the hour it took to get to town, I enjoyed an amazing lunch with a friend at a great Thai restaurant, Swadee, followed by some equally amazing gelato, then retreated to my old haunt/work, good ol' Cafe 1134 to relax my tired jaw. This is where I do most of my catching up with Coronado. There are nothing but good memories (mostly) with that place. I spent a good 3 years of my life in this cafe, so I couldn't resist sharing with those of you who haven't been there before. This would be my 3rd home. :)



Well, I'm excited for going back to SF. I'll have a visitor for a couple days and we've yet to figure out what to do for New Years Eve. If you've got any suggestions, feel free to throw them my way. This will be my first "real" New Years Eve night, seeing as how all of the past ones had been spent at home in front of a TV with one other person, if I was lucky. The pending events will most likely be covered in the next post. Realizing that this post had little to no substance, I'll be ending it now. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment